Sauteed Watermelon Rind

I picked up a watermelon recently (yes, I know. WAY out of season) because Ilana is a huge fan of them and likes to mash her pieces around, bite off too-big chunks, and try to feed them to me. Since we're a small house I typically buy the person sized melons. It was quite a surprise for me when I cut it open and found a rind thick enough to eat and so I peeled the green part of the melon carefully and then cut off all the white rind before dispensing watermelon chunk treats. This is a really fun recipe, since watermelon rind tastes a lot like cucumber and in the States that's not something we typically cook before eating. It also, of course, cuts down on food waste. Since Ilana (aka the Piggy, so named after the pig-like sounds she used to make) spends a lot of time in the kitchen "helping" me cook I figure starting her out from the very beginning with an aversion to food waste is the way to go rather than trying to instil this concept later in her life. Hope you enjoy!

5 cups watermelon rind, cut into strips about 1/4" wide and 2" long
1 teaspoon ground galangal or ginger
1/2 teaspoon each: onion powder, seasoned salt (I use Konriko)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice

Heat oil in a large saute pan and add all other ingredients except lime. Toss well and cook until slightly softened, then add lime juice. Cook until al dente. Serves 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bergamot Curd

Gems, Lovely Gems

Lentil, Chick Pea and Eggplant Boil